Friday, December 10, 2004

Vietnam

I partook in an ongoing mission of my friend P's and mine: to find an internal, PCI dial up 56K/V 90 modem that is AMD and XP friendly. So far, we've been through two and the last one destablized my computer to the point of it shutting down and restarting every 7 seconds. After much cursing, breaking the TV remote (poor remote, it has nothing to do with my frustration) and calling the store I got the last modem from and bitching out the pimply 20-something know-nothing-at-alls, I fixed my computer (miracoulsy, and I couldn't tell you how I finally did it) I removed the part.

Today we returned the part, with no conversation other than me putting the sales guy in his place about the digitally signed drivers, and embarked upon our mission once again.

I am beginning to think it is a conspiracy, this whole Win XP and modem sitatuion. P and I have been to about 15 stores, and either nobody carries a dial up modem, or it doesn't have the XP logo on the box. What the hell is going on???

P is older than me, and often when we are out people think I am her daughter. We talk about many things all the time, especially the war in Iraq and the U.S. military and government situation. Her husband fought in Vietnam, and she said at one point she didn't hear from him for a year. She said she didn't want to watch TV during the Vietnam war, because she we so apprehensive that her husband would die or worse, received $129/month from the government, and she had given birth to her first child while her husband was overseas.

She said to me, "I don't want to sound insensitive, but the soldiers today have it good. When J [her husband] was in Vietnam, we didn't have phone cards. We didn't have internet to see each other or talk to each other. My family didn't receive anything extra around the holidays to help out while J was away." I pointed out that there are better things and worse things aobut the military today, although I am not in a position to speak from first hand experience, but hey, they soliders in Iraq are using some of the same armor and weapons J used.

We discussed some points a little more, and at a red light P turned to me and said, "But what I don't understand is, why are we fighting people and killling people, and sending these young men and women to fight, kill and be killed? For what reason are we violently taking over all those little Iraqi towns?" Why are there abuse scandals, and prisoners being raped and worse?"

All I could reply in my best southern drawl was "Fer Freedom and democracy!"

No comments: