Saturday, January 08, 2005

KBOO community radio

I got a job. It's a good job, actually so far it seems like the best job I've ever had. I have to go down Monday morning for a criminal background check and drug screen, and I believe I start sometime next week. I hope its a good job. I've had so many employment let downs in the last 5 years...

The thing that I think of after the fact, that is within all of these horrible employment experiences, there are beautiful, great things that come from them. Both of my prior jobs were severely underpaid positions, with no raises, or an insulting 15 cent raises. My last job was a belittling, confidence smushing, negative environment. For all of the crap I took, I met a couple of awesome people. Additionally, I obtained invaluable skills that can never be taken away from me. In hindsight, I am glad I had that crappy experience. And the job prior to that, was a real let down, with no room for advancement, a dysfunctional administration that quashes any creativity and drive to succeed, and I also wrecked my back lifting many people many times a day. The reason I wouldn't change any of that, is that I met my life partner there, as well some awesome people I am proud to call my close friends.

Today I rode my bike to KBOO, my local community radio, to attend a volunteer orientation. KBOO, 90.7 FM on my dial, can be streamed via the internet from anywhere in the world, check it out: www.kboo.org. It seems like a great move, I really enjoyed the tour of the radio station, and learned about all the different things I could do as a volunteer, from learning the engineering board and the technical side of things, to learning how to edit and create a news article, to actually being on the air! I'm very excited.

No comments: