Thursday, March 31, 2005

afterthoughts

I am remembering recently I talked to S about things around where I used to live (S still lives in the general area). I remembered I lived on the corner of a busy intersection, on the third floor of a house attached to a store divided into two smaller stores. The house had been converted into three apartments, and I lived in two of them the 2 years I lived there. It got pretty hot in the summer, my cats used to pry open the bottom of the refrigerator (the seal was broken and I used duct tape to keep it shut). I would come home from work, and they would be laying crammed under the space between the floor and the bottom of the door, sucking up the cool and warming all my perishables. That was fun, especially when I got my electric bill.

There was a store on the corner of the next block, heading west, a large old house and the bottom had been coverted into a general store. I don't know what the name of the place was, but I would stop in every day and get the most awesome scrambled egg, home fry onion and ketchup sandwich I have ever tasted in my entire life. The guy who owned the store named Bob was working all the time, any time of day or night you would go there. He made my sandwich every day. If you stopped in late in the day or early evening, he was a little lit, like he started drinking early. He had a great little store, as if it had been a soda shop in the 50's and 60's, and a general pharmacy and store, that sold a little of everything.

My friend W and I nicknamed the owner of the store "Vietnam Bob" because he was jumpy, and had been in Vietnam. I know that seems mean, but he was a cool guy and drank a lot and it was an easy way to identify him. I loved that little store, and missed it the most along with the Italian Bakery, Chinese Food Place, Bagel Store and Quikie Mart that gave me cigarettes on credit.

Well, S told me I probably wouldn't recognize that intersection if I went there today. She also told me that Vietnam Bob's store is gone, and there is a Walgreens there in its place.

1 comment:

GrapeNut said...

Vietnam Bob...haha

Did you know that place was torn down and is now a huge Walgreens?

I hated it at first but now that corner is pretty clean and well lit - sort of like Vietnam Bob.