Friday, July 08, 2005

basically

basically I feel like lately I'm saying basically too much. I've come up with a list of words from the Word thesaurus that can be used as substitutions:
  • On the whole
  • essentially
  • in essence
  • fundamentally
  • principally
  • mostly
  • chiefly
  • mainly
  • Really
  • In the end
  • When you come right down to it
  • All in all
  • When all's said and done
  • Ultimately

I don't know how I feel about using those, I'll intermittently try alternatives throughout the day and see how it pans out.

In the course of my personal continuous improvement process, I spent a great deal of time yesterday doing arm and shoulder related exercises. As a result, my arms are so weak, I can't hold a cup of tea without shaking as if a Tyrannosaurus was running down the street past our office. I was putting a spoon of sugar (dehydrated cane juice) into my tea to sweeten it up a bit and my shaky arms shook sugar granules all over the place, into the open personnel files on my desk, into my keyboard, under my mouse pad (??) my crappy non-optical mouse has rolled over sugar granules and sucked them into the inside of the workings, stuck to the bottom of my forearms and palms, and in my hair. Amazing.

Happy 8th of July! My neighbors haven't exhausted their supply of firework contraband yet.

2 comments:

GrapeNut said...

On that list of phrases you left out:

Not for nothing...

Anonymous said...

Synonyms essentiality, nature, quintessence, soul, stuff, substance
Related Words heart, spirit; center, core, keynote, marrow, pith, seat; embodiment, epitome, incarnation, manifestation, personification; aspect, attribute, feature, property; gist, kernel, nub