Wednesday, July 06, 2005

everyone's a comedian

I presented at a particularly rowdy group of men in recovery today. I introduced myself, and a hand shot up from a guy wearing a Harley Davidson t-shirt turned into a home made wife beater, and a spiked choker necklace. "Yes, you in the back with the collar on," I inquired. "Have you ever been in recovery?" he asked me. "No, I haven't," was my reply. Another hand shot up, from a heavy set guy wearing a flannel shirt and holey jeans. "Do you wanna be?" He asked me. "No thanks, I'm all set," I replied.

The rest of the presentation pretty much went like that, most of the people had prohibitative criminal backgrounds so they weren't eligible, which equates to not paying attention bordering on heckling me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't pay attention to them. They don't want to be there. Not your problem.

That is why I never became a correction officer.

Fwickafwee said...

I don't mind if I'm heckled. Sometimes somebody especially funny will have some commentary that I can use later in the day. No matter what, I still get a paycheck at the end of the week.

Anonymous said...

Good attitude.
Remember Equal Opportunity Employer!

Anonymous said...

You and I have a lot in common. i enjoy your writing. You have a very wicked sense of humor. I should give you my e-mail address.