Friday, July 15, 2005

fun park fun with faux superheroes

Isn’t it funny, the things you remember? I have a memory from when I was about 4 or so, I was very young and I don’t remember having a brother yet. He may have been too little to go and was with a relative while we were out. I remember being with my mother and father at Great Adventure, and I remember leaving and feeling disappointed that I didn’t meet any of the theme park characters that walk around. I think at the time, they didn’t have the Looney Tunes theme going on yet, so it was just Spiderman, The Incredible Hulk, Superman, and other comic book heroes. As we were leaving after an exhausting day, and just exited the turnstiles, I remember a weird guy partially climbing up a flag pole at the entrance of the park. I think he was pretty strong and muscle-bound, and flexing his pecs. My parents were trying to convince me that he was a superhero, and were encouraging me to go over to him and say hello. I clearly remember being skeptical, because this was a guy in sweatpants and a tank top. I was really into Wonder Woman, and I think that I knew the other general superheroes, and could be persuaded to accept some of the more obscure superheroes if they were wearing a costume, mask, cape, utility belt or had a sidekick or weapon of some sort. Not being able to identify what I was feeling then, I went along with what my parents kept suggesting--to go over and touch his muscles while he was flexing. Looking back, I was feeling disbelief and weirdness about this faux superhero. My rationale was that if he really was a superhero, he’d be inside the fun park, not hanging off of a flag pole at the entrance.

1 comment:

Cooler Brian said...

That is extreme. It may have been the most inside reference ever, one that possibly only 3 people could relate to.