Monday, August 08, 2005

new landing plan

I found this about the Space Shuttle surfing the news at Xinhuanet Chinese News online:

"Tuesday landing opportunities are at 5:07 a.m. EDT (0907 GMT) and 6:43 EDT(1043 GMT) in Florida, and at 8:12 a.m. EDT (1212 GMT) and 9:47 a.m. EDT (1347 GMT) at the Edwards Air Force Base in California, where the weather conditions will be better.

The last backup landing site is the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. The choice of landing sites other than the KSC where the shuttle was launched means to cost the US space agency much in transferring the shuttle back home."

We will be setting the alarm clock again tonight, to see what happens...

If, for some reason the Discovery can't come down tomorrow morning, I read the astronauts have supplies until Wednesday. I guess after that they'd have to go back to the space station. I'd personally be afraid to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere. Especially if I was the woman sitting by the window with the thermal heat blanket flapping around and burning up during re-entry. I'd be pretty damn nervous. And probably pissed at NASA, too.

I'd be like "Those fucking jerks."

What if you started the landing sequence and had to pee really badly? I bet those space suits are equipped to deal with that. I'd hate to have the job of cleaning the space suits. I wonder if they make the astronauts do it themselves? If it was their responsibility, I wouldn't expect them to do it minute they get back, of course. I'd probably fast while I was on a mission just to reduce that kind of voiding activity as much as possible.

Remember that movie that came out in the 80's called "Space Camp?" It was pretty dumb. The premise was a diverse, but white group of teen agers meet during summer camp at NASA, and win an opportunity to go onto the space shuttle and sit in the seats and stuff. It was a pretty big deal, I think they spent half the movie winning the challenge or whatever to get this opportunity.

Well, this group wins, and gets the chance to go onto the Space Shuttle. Guess what happens next?

The launch sequence is accidentally activated, and is launched into space. Subsequently, the group of gangly, argumentative teen-agers work together and land the space shuttle.

I can't think of anybodies name who starred in this fiasco of a film. I don't recommend spending money to rent this movie. Maybe if you are home sick from work for a long period of time, like, if you have mononucleosis, or are recovering from surgery or something. If you werew sick, you couldn't sleep, and it was on cable, it's probably okay to watch.

I guess now all we do is wait...

2 comments:

GrapeNut said...

I've seen that movie at least 15 times. The cast was Kate Capshaw, Lea Thompson, Tom Skerritt, Kelly Preston, Larry B. Scott, Tate Donovan, Joaquin Phoenix (Played Ceasar in Gladiator). Personally I wouldn't be to happy if I had to re-enter earths atmosphere. Remember Christa McCauliffe, the teacher who won the lotto to go on the Space Shuttle Columbia, which didn't quite make it. The film Space Camp was released I think right after this disaster back in 1986.

Anonymous said...

Howard Stern:

That movie is on all time on TBS. I would have to be
fast a sleep when we re-enter Earth.