Thursday, December 08, 2005

the mountains were out today

too bad this one is behind a million telephone poles and wires. It was a really clear, windy and cold today, and from several points around Portland a great view of the nearby mountains could be seen...This picture was taken on my way up into Mt. Tabor, an inactive volcano which offers great views. Mt. Hood, picutred above, is to the east of Mt. Tabor which is located in SE Portland. The picutre does not do the view justice, it is really breathtaking.

On my way up to the top of Mt. Tabor, I passed a great view of Mt. St. Helens, about 70 miles N-NE of Mt. Tabor. Below is the same shot, just zoomed in:

Below is a picutre taken of Mt. Hood, to the east, from on the top of Mt. Tabor.

The parking area is located below a steep climb to the viewing area; there is a paved road loop that cars do not have access to. As a result, there are many cyclists and joggers that include Mt. Tabor in their exerscises. On my way up, I passed the large concrete cap below, which I suspect (but don't have confirmation) is the cap of the extinct volcano.

Finally, below is a zoom-in of Mt. Hood from the shot above the alledged volcanic cap. Just knowing that Mt. Tabor is an extinct volcano makes me think of "The Little Prince," and his little planet with the extinct volcano on it that he had to clean and take care of.

No comments: