Friday, January 27, 2006

colors and numbers


I made this connection when I was about 16, and wrote about it in a journal I was keeping at the time. I am now twice that old; but there hasn’t been a moment between here and then when I didn’t hear or see a number and associate it with a corresponding color. This is what I associate:

1 = off white, or the color of the plain white Christmas lights
2 = light blue
3 = orange
4 = dark blue
5 = red
6 = light blue
7 = yellow
8 = green
9 = brown or black, depending on what numbers are around it
10 = off white, the same color as in 1.

Similarly, the number 100 shares the same off white color. I can’t say I’ve ever known 1, 10 or 100 to be any other shade of white either. The number 0 alone, or one side of a decimal point will either take on a black characteristic, or sometimes it can look like a black outlined number, just serving to assist the other numbers on the opposite side of the decimal point. When paired on either side with a different number, the 0 takes on the charachteristic of the number it's with.

Any product of 10 and another number takes on the characteristics of the number nearest to the 0’s, for example: 6,000, 90,000, 252,000, 5970, 80.

Any group of numbers together will keep their individual characteristics, for example:

I think about the chronological, numerical progression of time and human advancement in years, and see each person having a color combination representing his or her age. I’m 32, my brother is going to be 28, my friends are 42 and 36. I think when an age has two numbers the same color, such as any multiple of 11, 26, 62, and 10, it holds some kind of significance. I’m not sure exactly what, but I can feel it.

I noted in my journal: This system was devised about that time just before you fall asleep and lay there thinking about miscellaneous things.


I shop at the grocery store, and I get this mental connection to associating the total on the receipt to colors. I find that my mind automatically views dollar amounts as two separate units on either side of the decimal. I see a total for groceries I got the other day as $15.12, my lunch today being $5.50 with a $1.00 tip for a total of $6.00. Batteries were on sale at Walgreen’s for $2.99 a package.

No comments: