Sunday, February 26, 2006

more wisdom

When I was in high school, I had the opportunity to read the morning announcements over the school wide intercom. One day in particular, it was my friend Jeremy's birthday, and I wanted to wish him a happy birthday. Annoucning an individual's birthday over the intercom was something generally frowned upon by the micro-managing administrator, Mrs. Landers, and I wasn't sure how to approach the subject. I asked my English teacher and friend, Mrs. Manson for advice on the situation. She told me "It is better to beg forgiveness then to ask permission." Armed with that new philosophy, after reading the change in the girls volleyball team practice schedule change, I quickly added, "Oh, and happy 17th birthday, Jeremy Anderson," before reading the next announcement about the location and start time of the next away football game. I looked up and across the room Mrs. Landers was glaring at me. After the announcements were over, she pulled me into her office and began with the "If you ever pull a stunt like that again" speech, and I feigned ignorance (but really, Mrs. Landers, I didn't know it wasn't allowed). I promised not to do that again, and caught up with Jeremy after 2nd period, who thanked me for thoroughly embarassing him.

On a side note, at some point during my 5 year high school career, Mrs. Landers broke her leg. Her first name was Peg, so we referred to her from that point on (and forever after) as Peg Leg.

On another side note, the profie picture to the left was my 11th grade class photo.

Viva La Aquanet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

5 years in high school?