Wednesday, February 22, 2006

update

Well it's been a busy month, so I haven't been blogging much. I have been thinking and observing many different things, such as disaster phenominia that are occurring, and how they occur in cycles. It seems to me that there have been many mining accidents lately, too many in my opinion. But part of me wonders if there is a lull in media events, so when a situation occurs the media outlets focus on it to death, often employing techniques as the "BREAKING NEWS" banner, or the constant coverage and updates making the episode of Judge Judy you're probably watching shrink to the mini square, while a scrolling news bar spews out the details of a small suburbia entrenched in a disaster.

On a side note, I spent the first 20 minutes of my work day cleaning up about a cup of sugar off of my desk, keyboard, mouse, floor, files, phone, paperclip tray and 3-ring binders filled with a nearly useless collection of letters and numbers depicting an elaborate but probably unnecessary procedure, guideline,or contact information. Although I eliminated the majority of the mess, whenever I roll around in my chair I hear and feel the gritty resistance of unrefined dehydrated cane juice (sugar for you mainstream american consumers).

It seems to me a couple of years ago there was an increased amount of reporting on shark attacks, maybe the sharks got together and came up with a plan of retribution, or it was a global epidemic. I'm not sure, but for whatever reason, you don't hear much about it. I feel since the Sago mine disaster there has been quite a few mine disasters, one in particular in Canada everyone seemed to get out okay, but there was another one recently in Mexico and I'm not sure what the outcome of that disaster was.

There's also been quite a few mudslides and landslides, completely wiping out whole villages and cities, just erasing them from the landscape, as if mother earth were angry and reclaiming what has been altered and taken advantage of by the prevailing species. Now, in the NW I expect a certain degree of this, as clear cutting forests in a hilly and mountainous environment becomes more the norm. People should expect that if they build their home to teeter off of the hillside, there's a good chance that it may crash down to the floor of the valley. Especially when the land your house supports are fixed to is rain soaked. I don't know enough about the topography or politics of forest harvesting of the Philippines or any other Asian or Indian countries, but it seems like a lot of environmental re-arranging has been going on there.

We're all going to hell in a handbasket. (handbasket??)

No comments: