Monday, March 13, 2006

chick fight!

I had the opportunity to participate in a Women's Open Sparring event last Sunday, where women from all over Oregon and Washington, at varying skill levels and ranks, practicing a varitey of Martial Arts, came together for an afternoon of fighing and fun.
Sifu Patty, sparring with a student from a different style of Martial Art. The sparring turned into a grappling match, which was enjoyed by all.

Action shot of Sifu Patty



Note the women wearing the white gee with the black belts. They were very tough, maybe on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being really tough, these women were 11's. I had the opportunity to (get my ass kicked) spar with some of them, and learned they either studied Kenpo Karate, (Chinese style) or Shodokan Judo (Japanese style). These women were fun to spar with, and I learned much, but also was on the receiving end of some pretty intense blows. The good news: I am better at blocking my face. The bad news: My ribs sutained some soreness. Luckily, it was nothing that a little Tiger Balm couldn't relieve.
my friend Anna (with the blue bandana) fighting a chick in jeans...at first we were skeptical, but I guess if you are going to be in an impromptu fight, chances are pretty high you would probably be wearing jeans.

Ready...fighting stance! View my Fist of Fury!





Something to be aware of about Tiger Balm. Be sure you wash your hands well after applying Tiger Balm to the affected (effected?) area. I didn't, and made the mistake of rubbing my right eye, and I made a sandwich. As a result, I spent the next 3 hours wincing as the analegisic minty coolness caused my eye to tear uncontrollably, and my mouth slightly numbed and robbed the taste from my PB & J.

No comments: