Friday, April 28, 2006

corporate deforestation

now that I resmble a somewhat functioning member of society, I noticed an increase in the amount of urgent apperaring, but total bullshit category of mail I receive. This mail is much like the piece pictured, and has bold authorative messages on the envelope like "WARNING: TIME SENSITIVE MATERIAL ENCLOSED" or "PLEASE DO NOT DISCARD." I can easily identify these types of letters, and have a pile sitting on my kitchen table.

The companies that do this really piss me off, because they pay someone to generate revenue for them, while creating work for me. On Saturday morning while I'm drinking coffee and feeling the warmth of the sunlight filter in from over the rooftops, I sit at the kitchen table, and open and sepearte these letters. The senders are usually credit card lenders, promising to put their pretty and colorful plastic cards with ridiculously high interest rates in my wallet. In their attempt to persuade me to apply for and use their credit card, they plaster my personal information all over the pack of shit in the envelope. As a result, I sift and sort through, recycle the pile of paper, throw out the stupid plastic envelope window thingy, and since I don't have a shredder I manually cross-cut the sections with my name and address on it.

I seem to get 5 to 10 of these things a week. They really start to pile up after a while. I have a paranoia that if I just chuck the letter in the garbage, some meth head is going to sort through my trash steal my identity.

3 comments:

R2K said...

: )

Anonymous said...

I got so sick of these - I recently used optoutprescreen.org and my husband and I have seen a dramatic decrease in pre-approved cc offers and insurance offers.

You might want to check it out. It's free, and you don't have to submit your SSN (although we did because I thought it would be more effective to do so.)

R2K said...

Im glad you like the blog, and also that we both hate junk mail.