Tuesday, May 16, 2006

how about those new red ten dollar bills

That have incorporated themselves into circulation? When I got my first one a couple of months ago, I had to look twice. I thought it was a silver certificate or something; I never expected the dollar designers to put a splash of red into our money.

I had a silver certificate dollar bill from 1932 once. My brother borrowed it without my knowledge to buy cigarettes. He bought the cigarettes when he was about 14, from a weird gas station/convenience mart/car wash up the street from where we lived. Sometimes on Friday nights, my friends and I would hang out in the dark and dormant car wash, drink beer and smoke cigarettes. To be funny, when we were drunk enough, one of us would step on the big trip panel that started the spraying and washing action of the car wash. After a few consecutive weekends of amusing ourselves this way, the clerk working the night shift wised up, and turned the power off to the car wash.

It was still fun hanging out in there anyway. I felt like we were in a sacred place, a place where only people in cars have gone. The still and dry brush arms looked like giant sleeping insects, clutching the ceiling and hanging upside down. The humid light and orange glow from streetlamps illuminated the scene as if it were an ailen ship, something from the future and not of this earth.

No comments: