Friday, September 08, 2006

wheat-free failure

I've noticed that on a daily basis I get an overwhelming tired feeling around 2:30-3 PM. I'm often so tired that I could put my head down and easily sleep in an instant, and have gotten into a bad habit of taking 15 minute power naps between work and martial arts practice in the evening. I've tried getting more sleep, getting less sleep, drinking more coffee, eating apples, and all of these control variations didn't really change how tired I felt. After talking to a friend who has a wheat allergy, I thought I'd try to cut wheat products temporarily out of my life to see if it made a difference. And this is a difficult change to make for me; I live a few blocks from a great bakery and happen to love all things made of wheat. It's been a challenge coming up with alternative breakfasts and avoiding wheat that has been incorporated into other foods.

I didn't realize the degree of success I've achieved until I overdosed on wheat this weekend. I am also lactose intolerant, and against the will of my physiology, I ended up gorging on pizza, went to a free sample pepper festival at the New Season's Market, had lots of things that included wheat and cheese, went to the bakery two days in a row, and by Sunday I was very blown out and almost drunk toxic, practically hallucinating...my tongue felt thick in my mouth and all my thoughts were disconnected. I actually had started feeling better from limiting the amount of wheat products I ate, but didn't realize it because it my system was slowly adjusting.

I'm doing my best to re-adjust. My boss and I went out to lunch once, and she mentioned if she could only eat two foods for the rest of her life, as if she were shipwrecked on a desert island and could only bring two types of food with her, she said it would be fruit and cheese. I thought about this, but the only thing I could come up with was bread.

No comments: