Monday, February 12, 2007

how do you feel about those earbuds?

I'm not sure, I have mixed feelings. Sometimes I like them, and sometimes I think they're weird and hurt my ears.

I've got an iPod and it amazes me that I can store my entire music catalog on a small device about the size of a cigarette pack. It's also funny how intensely personal iPods are, you can customize them with your personal pictures, videos, music, preferences, podcasts of programs you enjoy...such a small thing says such a large amount about the owner.

My iPod has a variety of heavy metal, pop, blues, jazz, disco, rock...the genres themselves aren't funny, but when you get into the nuts and bolts of artists such as Huey Lewis and the News, America, Tool, Cream, Duran Duran, it really begins to shape everything.

Okay don't judge me and the Huey Lewis and the News thing. I don't think it's so much the music, but the period of time in my life. I have a very strong visual memory of watching Huey Lewis and the News videos when I was a kid, I don't know why, I never owned an album before now (and I don't own it, I copied it from a friend).

How irresistible is it to sing their tunes, c'mon I know you all know the words...I wanna new drug, one that won't make me sick...one that won't make me talk to much or make my mouth feel thick....

My next door neighbor, who usually is relatively quiet and considerate, had an all-weekend, all-night party last weekend. I was so annoyed at one point I wanted to put my fist through the wall but instead I passively remarked several times that I'm going to tell the landlord. Saturday night I was having trouble sleeping because the bunch of middle aged drunk women partying were singing Billy Joel songs at the top of their lungs. It was very inconsiderate, and forever changed how I listen to Billy Joel, especially "My Life."

Ho hum time to go home.

No comments: