Monday, June 04, 2007

science fiction vs. fantasy

If I had to pick a genre of book to live the remainder of my life by, and after carefully considering all of my choices, I would have to narrow down the possibilities to two: science fiction and fantasy.

I've always liked fantasy; there's something about magic and medieval times that I thought was pretty cool. Some of my earliest interests in reading were the Dungeons and Dragons books. When I was in middle school, I think I needed to do something to kill time in class. I must have finished a test early or something, and my teacher happened to have a book loan library. I noticed a Dragonlance book, it was the first from the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy, entitled "Dragons Of Autumn Twilight." That book sucked me into a several book commitment of understanding and enjoying an alternate universe.

To make matters funnier (nerdier, whichever you prefer), I used to play Dungeons and Dragons. The first time I played, I was 18 and got together with some friends I worked with at Kentucky Friend Chicken. The last time I played was about 10 years ago; I lived on Staten Island in New York, and I played with a group of people who put a lot of effort into hosting the game. I think the group in Staten Island were much bigger geeks then the work friends from Florida, but the geekiness made the whole thing more fun. We once spent 2 weeks rolling out new characters and drawing up dungeon maps. We also branched off and played a Shadowrun role playing game, which was like a science fiction dungeons and dragons. That was one of many fun times in my life, and playing Shadowrun seemed like the best of both worlds.

As fun as fantasy land can be, I think science fiction land would be the better choice. If you are existing in a science fiction genre, you can use a time machine to go back in time to the medieval period and when you're done, you just hop into your time machine and go where ever else you work. Many other things would be easier, too, such transportation (both locally and universally), places to see, variety of species to interact with, advanced technology and of course incorporating magic into a science fiction world isn't unheard of, I am a fan of Steven Brust's Jhereg Series and I think they do a great job combining science fiction with magic and fantasy world. I also think it would be much harder to justify something futuristic and science-fiction-y in a fantasy world.

On a completely unrelated note, I've always thought that Paul Shaffer from "Late Night With David Letterman" seemed like he was jacked up on speed or something. Maybe a little acid too, judgin by the way he dresses and his crazy sunglasses. This is entirely my opinion and assumption, and is in no way connected with Blogger or any other entity that I may or may not come in contact with.

Anyway, just an observation.

No comments: