I think the media and news outlets downplay the fireworks accidents, unless they're particularly injurious or gruesome. I did stumble upon rideaccidents.com, a comprehensive website keeping you up to date with any amusement park related criminal activity, ride accidents, injuries or deaths.
So I've been going out to dinner twice a month with a few neighbors--the old ladies of the neighborhood, I'm easily 1/2 the age of the other dinner-goers. We went out on that Thursday and devoted about 20 minutes of conversation about bitching about the fireworks that kept us all up. I can't believe any of these women didn't suffer a cardiac arrest. I like to spice things up a bit when I go out with these women, so I'll throw a fiery topic into the mix. I transitioned from "how the fireworks annoyed me last night" to "do you think it's appropriate women breast feed in public?" One of the ladies in our group elaborated and said she was out at a restaurant eating lunch when a woman sitting at the table next to her whipped out her breast and started feeding her infant who was "just out of the chamber."
Anyway, other hot transition topics have been:
- What was on Oprah today (I miss out on this one because I work)
- What's been happening on "Days Of Our Lives" (I have been watching this soap on and off since 1983, and stay updated by visiting http://www.prevuze.blogspot.com/).
- The war (any of them)
- The president and the government (usually segwayed from the previous topic)
- People putting pressure on women to have children (how come society's doesn't promote adoption?)
- Jobs that haven't worked out and why
- Growing up with multiple siblings we fought with (okay, this doesn't really apply to me but fun to listen to)
- How late the medical transport service got me to my medical appointment (this doesn't really apply to me)
- Prescription drugs and combinations that give you a buzz (this also doesn't apply to me)
- Gossip about the other women who couldn't make it
- Critiquing what the remainder of the group has ordered