Monday, July 02, 2007

Mt. Hood Scramble -- results and aftermath

Well, the Mt. Hood Scramble results are in, and I finished in 290th place (out of 374). My actual racing time was 1 hour, 46 minutes and 59 seconds, which doesn't seem bad seeing as how I injured my ankle about 1/2 way through the race. Maggie stayed with me through the rest of the race, and she finished 289th place. Maybe a good goal for next year would to finish in the top 200.

Anyway, after the race...the next day my ankle swelled up to twice its size, and took on an ashy-bluish color. I honestly think it looked a lot worse then it felt. I was able to hobble around on it, but many people were strongly suggesting that I go get an x-ray. My boss saw it, and after I explained that I don't have time for an x-ray, he said to me, "You know, the funny thing about x-rays is that doctors can see inside your foot to determine if anything's broken or wrong." If only you could have been in the room when he delivered that dry sarcasm, it was really funny. So reluctantly I went to the Urgi-center to get some professional care.

I ended up sitting in the Urgi-center for about 3 1/2 hours, and was seen by 6 different people, not counting the cashier who forgot to give back my insurance card. After I was x-rayed, the doctor met with me for about 4 minutes to show me the x-ray, and explain that I didn't break anything, but tore all the ligaments in my foot. The doctor actually said "you tore ligaments." and I said "Oh, really? which ones?" and he replied "all of them." I'm not sure how many there are, but I sure can feel them when I sleep on my foot wrong or step funny.

After the diagnosis, the doctor left and the cast-and-leg brace-ologist came in the room to fit me for a KISS army boot. Seriously, this boot was designed to keep my ankle stable, went half-way up my thigh and had several velcro belt straps the whole way up my leg. It was also quite a few inches higher then my other foot, and I was warned by one of the nurses that I'll be experiencing hip and back problems from wearing the brace.

So 20 minutes later, I peeled the boot off and mentally vowed to be as careful as possible. So far it's been about weeks and I feel pretty good. I'm able to walk up stairs, bike ride, go for walks with hardly any discomfort. There's another scramble on July 15th (McCubbins Gulch, also on Mt. Hood), and maybe I'll have recovered enough to participate.

No comments: