Saturday, November 03, 2007

battered halibut rip-off

The last time we were at Trader Joe's, Ric bought a box of "Battered Halibut." I was going to throw some in the oven the other night, but when I opened the box I couldn't believe my eyes. The size of the fillets and the amount in the box occupied less then half the box space. Over half of the box was empty! What a waste.


Here is a comparison photo of the bagged fillets next to the box that contained it. We started talking about how there's wasted box materials, twice as many trees and plastic and whatever else they're using to make the box, half as many are shipped but take up the maximum amount of space. I'm sure we paid an amount that led us to believe there'd be more in the box.


This is what was in the bag. And the quality of fish wasn't good either.

When was a kid, I used to love tartar sauce. We didn't make any for this battered halibut, but it would have definitely helped. We went to the supermarket last night and couldn't find any sweet relish or bread without high fructose corn syrup in it. What's up with that?

No comments: