Monday, July 07, 2008

the further mysteries of dreamland

I've been having some more strange dreams lately. In some cases I wake with a full recollection of my dream but as the day progresses they slip away like a tide taking out a sandcastle too close to the shoreline. In other cases (like the last dream I wrote about) some elements are so shocking they clearly stand out in my mind.

I can remember a really intense dream I had when I was about 7 years old. It had such an impact on me it was as if I dreamt it last night. I don't remember all the details of it, but I remember basically I was in my room and the house was on fire. The fire was working its way over to my room and my door and wall around the door started to burn. I also distinctly remember a fern plant I had hanging on a hook in my room. I remember some setting details so vividly it's as if my old room still exists somewhere in the space/time vacuum. I had pepto bismol pink walls, and a giant map of the world on the wall space above my bed. There was some molding affixed around the map and painted pink to give the appearance of it being a framed picture. I had a twin bed with a tiny pink checkered bedspread. Immediately to the left of the bed was a closet door; a single door with a brass colored knob. Dark brown cork covered the upper half of the door that was missing and ripped off around the bottom edges.

This was the wall where the fire had breached my room. I remember feeling very afraid and anxious. I also remember acting quickly and fashioning my bedsheets and bedspread into a makeshift rope to escape from. As I climbed up into the window to free myself, I remember knocking the fern off of the hook. It fell to the floor and half-spilled out of the pot it was in.

After I reached the ground, I noticed that the neighbor's house was on fire too. I remember starting to feel afriad again, but then having an epiphany that really makes no sense. In this dream, the epiphany was that the fire I was seeing on the neighbor's house was only watercolor paint. This makes no sense whatsoever to me, but in the dream it was a real "duh!" moment. Somehow that relieved me because I drew the conclusion that the fire on my house must have been watercolor paint too, and my house was going to be okay.

The dream I had last night has just about completely washed away; I remember jumping through these wormhole portals, but having no control over where I was ending up. At one point I came up in a construction site, and another time I emerged into an unfamiliar city park. I also returned a few times to the foyer of a large old house.

I really enjoy having science fiction dreams or action dreams where I generally have the advantage or get some serious vengeance. Too bad I couldn't get a handle on the wormhole thing before I woke up.

No comments: