Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Of half started beginnings...

I've had two months of incomplete sentences, distracted thoughts, shifting priorities, overstimulating environmental experiences and unforeseen changes of plans. There's not a whole lot I can really do when things are out of my control, you can either fight the current or flow with it. I choose to flow, it takes less energy and I'll be sure to brace for whatever may come. And so far the unexpected has consisted of compound fractures, administrative nightmares, automobile break-ins, unbelievable golden opportunities, parking tickets, too many pets, and probably some other things I've forgotten. I would like to share some of these stories in the near future, especially since sometimes writing is cathartic and serves as processing function for me.

I'm enjoying this late summer evening on my extra long Labor Day weekend.


I've been thinking a lot about chemicals lately, how they've permeated every aspect of our lives--whether through ingesting (food, beverage, medication) or wearing (fabric softeners, lotions, creams, colognes, perfumes)--and the larger opinion is that it is "good" to embrace chemicals, and if you don't like chemicals in your life then you are perceived as some kind of weirdo. I feel that for the most part I have a choice about chemical use, with the exception of the city I live in trying to add fluoride into our water supply. And my opinion is that if it costs 5 million to build a plant to put the fluoride in, can't you forego adding the chemical and give that 5 million to the schools? Or to social services? Scholarships for low income people who want job training?

Chemicals aren't good, they really aren't. And people hear this creative marketing/messaging that they are good--diet coke can help make you (keep you) skinny, the weak-willed pandering to the snack food industry, the fact that these larger corporations/food manufacturers sneak high fructose corn syrup into every goddamned thing, like bread, ketchup, salad dressing, relish, sauces, and on and on. As a consumer and human who cares about himself, you really have to be vigilant about where your food and beverages (including water) are coming from. There is a great opinion piece in The New York Times that really highlights the relationship between what humans eat, how our bodies work, and how things can get complicated when we don't put good into our bodies.

No comments: